Confession: I don’t particularly like odd number years.
All of my awesome life events have happened in even number years… I was born, my brothers were born; I graduated high school and college; I got my first job; I got my current job; I met the Husband; I got engaged; I got married – you get the idea.
I won’t go into the other side of this equation – but suffice it to say that odd number years have never been my favorite. However, this is going to be the year that turns that all around! 2012 was so kick-ass that I think 2013 has no choice but to follow in the footsteps of awesomeness and be quite-above-average.
In case you were wondering, my top memories of 2012 include (but are not limited to):
- Finally passing the final portion of the CPA test
- Getting engaged to my best friend
- Our housewarming/engagement party
- My bachelorette party (it really was the best, most classiest bachelorette party ever – I am spoiled by my friends)
- Picking out my wedding dress with my mom, mother-in-law, and sister-in-law
- Visiting my brand new niece in LA
- Trips to: Santa Barbara, Aspen, NYC, Napa Valley, San Fran, Yosemite, Turkey, Tanzania
- Our wedding week in Jamaica – the best week of my life!
- Getting our little monster, Ozzie
- So much time spent and making memories with friends and family
2012 was such a whirlwind that I’m ready to slow it down a bit in 2013. I don’t believe in new year resolutions (per se), but I do believe in continuous improvements so my focuses in the near future will include:
- Reading more – I already read a shit ton but I’m hoping to stay more up-to-date on my Economist subscription and also to read a few pages of a book every day instead of in very large chunks once a week or so.
- Relaxing – I don’t do this well. At all. Actually, all of my other ‘goals’ kind of relate to this one very broad goal.
- Drinking more tea
- Waking up before sunrise to start the day off more calmly
- Limiting phone and internet use
- Traveling! – I may be out of vacation days, but I will figure out ways to keep traveling and exploring new places.
- Worrying about the future less – which should be especially easy since I don’t have a wedding to plan in 2013!
- Giving more (time, money, etc)
- Loving more completely
- Living simply
- Working productively
- Working out regularly – 3 to 4 times a week at the gym… biceps and 6 pack, here I come!
Good plan, right?!
Here’s to a nice and relaxing 2013 filled with love and laughter and great (hilarious) memories!
Corny stuff aside – this year is already not off to a great start. I don’t know why I thought it would be a great idea to go to crossfit class two days after getting back from Africa… but I did. I won’t go into details, but I felt like I had never worked out a day in my life. I made a fool out of myself and was a little weakling in class. Plus, I managed to trip and fall over a block and now my shin is completely scraped up. C’mon 2013… you have nowhere to go but up!